Photo provided by Errol and Candy Brumpton of Well Gully Merinos
The SRS® (Soft Rolling Skin)® technology for breeding Merino sheep was developed by the late Dr Jim Watts and applied to flocks in Australia since 1998. Both these terms are trademarked to protect the brand identity.
The system is based on producing wools of exceptional quality by selecting Merino sheep for low primary fibre diameter, high fibre density, and high fibre length.
Genetic selection for these fibre traits, both visually and objectively, is done in the expectation that fleece weight will increase, fibre diameter will decrease, and fibre quality will improve.
ADVANTAGES OF SRS GENETICS
- Luxury, unique handling fleece.
- No mulesing,
- Maximum lamb survival.
- Easy shearing.
- Unparalleled processing.
- Consumer driven marketing.
"The fibre properties of SRS wool are very different to traditionally bred Merino wool.
The fibres are finer, more uniform in diameter along and between fibres, longer, highly aligned, smoother surfaced, cylindrically shaped and more elastic"
Dr Jim Watts
The benefits of SRS Genetics Commercial membership.
Why sign up today?
Commercial Membership to SRS Genetics will add valuable insights to support your operation while supporting your marketing advantage.
- Exclusive access to SRS Certification and application of unique SRS sheep identification tags
- Access to discounted management tags
Exclusive access to SRS Wool marketing opportunities
Specialist Flock Classing by SRS Genetics specialists
- SRS Stud ram purchase rebate up to the value of $600
- Access to SRS Genetics Group Chat for real time Q & A
- Access to specialised sessions online sessions focusing on key and current themes
- Exclusive use of the SRS Genetics trademark for use in advertising and promotion
- Participation in SRS Genetics Research and Development
- Access to SRS Genetics research and development findings
- Access to SRS Genetics advertising opportunities including published features, SRS Genetics website and social media platforms
- Exclusive access to discounted Lambs Alive membership with specialist sessions for SRS Members only
Exclusive access to SRS Genetics Wool Testing rates supplied by Riverina Wool Testers
Exclusive market access with presentation of wool clip to International buyers through WOOLCONSULT Int. Pty Ltd.
Talk to your SRS Genetics ram supplier today for more information on becoming a member.
or call SRS Genetics on 0418 296 805.
SRS Genetics recognises the importance of the legacy of Dr Jim Watts. A trail blazer, ahead of his time; a true innovator and influencer with unrivalled passion and commitment, Jim was responsible for developing the soft rolling skin method of breeding sheep by visual and objective selection to optimise fleece quality and quantity. These methods are also recognised for producing sheep that do not require mulesing, while increasing lamb production, survival, and natural resistance to fly strike.
Commercial Membership Application
Contact: Dan Hammett
M: 0439 347 362
Contact: Shelley Cocker
Contact: Hugh Taylor
M: 0488 445 495
Calcaling Poll Merino Stud
Website: Facebook Page
Contact: Athol Ventris M: 0428 487 090
Sandie Ventris M: 0429 487 057
Website: Facebook Page
Contact: Dominic Hallam
M: 0409 736 069
East Loddon Merinos
Contact: Tom Hooke
M: 0409 399 191
Contact: Norm Smith
M: 0477 313 665
Contact: James Munro
M: 0439 483 050
Karbullah Poll Merinos
Contact: Mark and Vicky Murphy
M: 0427 761 739
Mobile: 0418 296 805